Saturday, August 24, 2013

Has it Been Over a Week?

Hmmmm. I didn't mean for it to be this long, but I've been working like a crazy woman on both anti-bullying curriculum and 7th grade English curriculum for the past week, with the exception of yesterday when I invited one of my sister-in-laws and her three kids to join Sam, Thomas, and me at the Mall of America's Nickelodeon Universe.  We host our annual National Night Out block party each August, and the city of Minneapolis sends Nick U Mystery Tickets to give out. We get plenty, so late August and September is our chance of the year to go on rides there (for free.) We got about 10 6-pointers and 1-100 pointer, which gave us five hours of ride madness with a baby (no rides), a two-year old, a four-year old, a five-year old, a six-year old, a 7th grade English teacher) me, and an elementary school library (Anna.) We also enjoyed Dairy Queen thanks to a school kid gift certificate Anna had and stopped by Naartje Kids and Gap Kids. All in all, an awesome way to spend our last weekday off before we both go back to teacher workshops.

But leading up to that, I have been working my tail off.  Carly and I also had four more paid hours to plan (thank you ISD 196!), and we used them well.

I have lots to share, but my hubs, the kids, and I are supposed to be heading to the farmer's market, so I thought I'd add a snapshop of part of our focus for Gary Soto's short story "Seventh Grade." I've used this SS for years, but we tightened up the focus this year.  Vocab, connections, and inference. 

Here is what the new "making connections" PPT looks like!




 I don't have rights to the clip art, so it's not on TPT or anything, but you can always copy the photos or pin them and paste them into your own PPT for now...teachers helping teachers :)

Happy Saturday, and to those of you who started with workshops or with kids this week, I hope it went well!!

Happy teaching!

Michelle 


Just realized I uploaded and added the slides from the "notes PPT" for kids to fill in.  Here are the first two slides with the words filled in.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment