Saturday, August 24, 2013

Middle School is Worse than Meatloaf

Have you seen this book?  Middle School is Worse than Meatloaf by Jennifer Holm? If you haven't, find it soon! 

I didn't know about this book until I was showing a Scholastic Tab book pick video a few years ago, and Allison chose it as one of the monthly highlights.  I had it on my shelves but hadn't read it, and the book talk was awesome.  When I took a look, I knew right away that it was a gem in terms of teaching inference, summarizing, and predictions.

We are using it to refresh the kids on inference before we talk about making inferences with Gary Soto's "Seventh Grade." Here's what I have!




 We don't have class sets of this book yet but home to get some this year.  I think it is a great vehicle for teaching comprehension and can't wait to see how it works with the kids.

I also hit up some garage sales this morning after we went to the farmer's market and went on our C25K run...more books and things for the room.  Photos next week when I am back in full swing.

Enjoy your weekend!

Michelle


3 comments: